Bacchus Restaurant was established in 1975 as a family concern and remains so today. A large, long established restaurant within the fortifications of Mdina, Bacchus covers almost all requirements. At Bacchus we are as committed to our own staff as we are to our customers, acknowledging that our success is a direct result of their efforts. We strive to inspire people to perform better, to own and engage and to grow with us.
We are seeking to recruit a Sous Chef to work in line with the company’s business strategy.
The position of Sous Chef consists of directing the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. It also consists of planning and pricing menu items, ordering supplies, and keeping records where necessary.
- Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met;
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, considering such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers;
- Determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays;
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients;
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations;
- Order or requisition food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation;
Qualifications & Requirements
- Culinary diploma or equivalent preferably with knowledge of Mediterranean cuisine;
- Ability to monitor or assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or organization to make improvements or take corrective action;
- Ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work and identify the best people for the job;
- Ability to manage one’s own time and the time of others.
- The position is full-time and shifts may vary between lunch and dinner.
- Lead subordinates successfully into productive working methods by setting an example.
- Provide a two-way line of communication. Deal with day to day problems, including personal problems;
- Deal with proposals and suggestions from restaurant staff, report to management.
- Provide station plans, ‘on the side’ job lists, duty rosters, etc. Well in advance;
- Keep all records as required (such as breakages, spillages, stock takes, inventory lists, etc.).
- It is expected, that the Sous Chef is fully aware of the company standards;
- The Sous Chef is expected to know the job descriptions;
- Ensure, that the set standards are kept, and staff work according to their respective job descriptions and time schedules.
Lines of Communication
- Reporting directly to management;
- Very important member of staff requiring minimal supervision.
If you are ready for success, with the opportunity to grow, it is best to work for a company that is prepared to encourage your knowledge and talent. Your dreams, your passions and your ambitions are respected and encouraged.
Bacchus – KMP-35971