At Verdala International School (VIS), we believe that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and that contributions should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, the job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but does not limit the employee or VIS to only the work identified. It is a basic expectation that each employee will offer his / her services as required to ensure the success of our school.
- Reports to: Director of IT Integration.
- Member of: IT Services Department GDPR team.
This is a non-teaching role.
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of the Data Systems Manager (DSM) is to oversee the school’s various data systems and to support the development of data-driven school culture. The DSM is responsible for organising, storing, and analysing data as efficiently and effectively as possible, while always upholding agreed-upon security standards.
The DSM will be responsible for ensuring all data in the school is accurate and up to date, and will be required to prepare reports as necessary for the school community whilst also supporting the Leadership team directly with data analyses as necessary.
The DSM should also be able to work with APIs and have a certain level of programming skills enabling the automation of processes and the alignment of information between systems.
Due to the nature of the role, the DSM will have access to a range of confidential information and will be required to provide support at the highest level of the school. A sense of propriety, integrity, and confidentiality will therefore be fundamental personal qualities of the person fulfilling this role.
The DSM will also have excellent written and verbal communication skills and will be comfortable communicating and working with a variety of people at various levels of expertise.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and enforce policies for effective data management.
- Formulate techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data.
- Oversee the technical side of the student information systems and learning management systems in use across the school.
- Devise, implement, and document efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects.
- Establish rules and procedures for data sharing with senior management, external stakeholders, etc.
- Support others in the daily use of data systems and ensure adherence to legal and school standards.
- Assist with reports and data extraction.
- Monitor and analyse information and data systems and evaluate .their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades, etc.).
- Ensure digital databases and archives are protected from security breaches and data losses.
- Troubleshoot data-related problems.
- Assist the IT Manager with the ICT support requirements of the school.
- Ensure that policies, procedures and practices are in line with GDPR.
- Ensure that sensitive information is handled and stored appropriately.
- Coordinate security and risk management for information managed by, and on behalf of the school.
- Be an exemplary professional role model for staff and students.
- Communicate with staff, students and parents on any data-related queries that need to be addressed.
- Additional duties as allocated by the Director of IT Integration and the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- A minimum of 3+ years experience in data management or analysis.
- Proven experience as a data manager.
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, distribution, etc.).
- Familiarity with modern database and information system technologies.
- Proficient with MS Office and / or Google Workspace.
- An analytical mindset with excellent communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to decipher and organise large amounts of data.
- Ability to translate complex problems clearly and in non-technical language.
- Possess a high level of organisational and interpersonal skills.
- An effective communicator with all stakeholders.
- Have the ability to find solutions through creative thinking and collaboration.
- Have a service ethic.
- A willingness to be a member of a team and to work collegially with other staff members.
- High level of professional standards and conduct.
- Willing support for the vision, mission, guiding statements and values of the school.
- Agree to undergo a criminal history / police check conducted by the school.
- Experience managing cloud-based applications.
Verdala International School – KMP-64016