Tumas Gaming operates the Casino division within the Tumas Group. Since its humble origins in 1998, the Qawra Oracle Casino has expanded to include Portomaso Casino, which opened in June 2006. It is the only multi-casino operator on the island, featuring a wide variety of live gaming tables and slot machines.
We are currently on the lookout for a Legal and Compliance Officer, who is willing to learn and grow within the Company. The candidate will assist with a range of processes including commercial contracts, licence applications, ongoing compliance and regulatory management, etc. So it would need to be someone with a knowledge of Maltese Law and ideally also experienced in Gaming, GDPR and AML regulations. There would also be an element of whipping us into shape in terms of getting our own house “in order” as regards all internal contracts and related best practice / housekeeping. If someone has the legal background but not necessarily the regulatory side we could consider that as they would be able to learn the regulatory side of things.
Duties will include:
- Liaise with external legal counsel on major projects, coordinating with the Group Compliance Manager to ensure that we have processes and procedures in place and documented for all areas relating to applicable legislation and regulation.
- Act as a centralised point of contact for third parties with whom the company deals from a legal and compliance perspective, particularly regulatory authorities and external legal counsel.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external legislation and regulation and the effective implementation of rules at all organisational levels.
- Identify and assess compliance risk – establish and implement any policies and procedures required.
- AML/CFT compliance, such as reviewing of alerts, replying to requests for information, and ensuring that all relevant databases are kept updated.
- Provide in-house training on compliance matters.
- Assist the Key Officials in the execution of their duties.
- Perform MLRO or DPO functions.
- Completing and submitting PSP applications made by the company and the respective due diligence work that need to be carried out.
- Assist other departments of the company in the handling and resolving of player complaints and other related issues.
- Participate in licensing audits and site visits to which the company may be subject from a regulatory, legal and compliance perspective.
- Carrying out legal research and ensuring that the company keeps abreast of developments from a regulatory, legal and compliance perspective on a local and international level.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A legal or related qualification.
- Compliance specific training would be considered to be an asset, and hands-on experience in a similar environment for at least a couple of years would be highly valued.
- Diligent, organised, multi-tasking person who is able to work in a challenging environment.
- Excellent analytical skills, with an eye for detail, while also adopting a practical, flexible and hands-on approach towards his/her work.
- Capacity to work collaboratively with colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Ability to face challenges with enthusiasm, to work independently and to act on own initiative.
- Ability to effectively understand problems and make timely and practical decisions in the interests of the company.
- Being dependable and demonstrating commitment and dedication towards his/her work.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills.
- Knowledge of foreign languages would be considered as an asset, especially knowledge of Italian.
While not essential requirements for eligibility, the following qualities shall be considered valuable assets, and preference shall be given to candidates possessing such:
- A practical and theoretical knowledge of gaming law and industry-related matters, anti-money laundering law, corporate and company law, and/or data protection law.
Tumas Gaming – KMP-52552