Sterling Chemical Malta Ltd. is an Italian pharmaceutical company specialising in the development, optimisation and manufacturing of high quality generic Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). Sterling is internationally respected and endeavours to maintain its level of excellence both in its business approach and in the development of a highly skilled team.
Due to rapid growth we are expanding our activities and are recruiting goal-driven people to occupy the position of Process Engineer.
Under general supervision develops basic engineering designs and specifications on assigned contract; provides process data to environmental groups, reviews and approves equipment RFQ’s, bid tabulations and vendor data; assists in process field work. Acts as area engineer and / or may be assigned equipment or technical study responsibilities under general supervision.
Process Design Basis:
- Applies process design criteria, guidelines and contract requirements to process design work.
- May be responsible for interacting with contractors, including establishing design basis and contractor evaluation.
- Applies process design criteria and guidelines to all phases of process engineering.
- Prepares flow diagrams and participates in flow diagram reviews.
- Understands the importance of the flow diagram as a communication tool to other disciplines.
- Is able to prepare and review flow diagrams with total information to correspond to the flow sequence, operability and the safety of the unit / system.
- Answers questions, with confidence, from other disciplines and clients as to the requirement / function of each item on the flow sheet.
- Back checks, updates, and ensures consistency with related design documents such as specification sheets and with other units.
- Prepares and reviews metallurgy flow diagrams.
- Prepares process and utility equipment specification sheets. May be responsible for design of a system or a complete unit.
- Understands importance of the equipment specification sheet as a communication tool with other disciplines.
- Prepares equipment duty specifications for all equipment including complex equipment such as reactors.
- Prepares detail design specification for all equipment.
- Reviews input from other disciplines for compatibility with process design for all equipment.
- Prepares instrumentation process data. Assists in establishing control philosophy for relatively complex control systems to meet process objectives, including safety.
- Prepares control valves process data, relief valve data, analyser data.
- Interprets control philosophy of relatively complex control systems.
- Reviews control systems specification sheets for consistency with process data.
- Reviews logic diagrams for relatively simple loops.
- Evaluates alternative control strategies to meet process objectives.
- Performs specifications / calculations and technical studies.
- Completes conceptual developments of a major system and performs all necessary calculations for process design of systems and equipment within the assigned area.
- Performs relatively complex technical studies under general supervision.
- Ensures that calculations are legible, well organised, correctly references as to equipment/system, dated and signed.
Equip Selection / Review:
- Reviews and approves equipment bid tabulations and vendor data.
- Expeditiously reviews equipment requests for quotes, purchase requests, bid tabulations and vendor data for conformance to specifications, process compatibility, safety and operability.
- Ensures consistency of vendor data with other design documents such as flow diagrams, area classifications drawings, utility summaries, etc.
Plant Safety / Operability:
- Understands obligations and authority to make appropriate design decisions necessary for plant safety and operability.
- Identifies potentially lethal/toxic substances and designs the systems handling those substances.
- Reviews the unit / plant layout for unsafe piping/equipment arrangement and for adequate access to critical valves.
- Assists in specification of any required safety systems (eye-washers, safety-showers, gas detectors, etc).
- Planning and undertaking scheduled maintenance.
- Responding to breakdowns.
- Diagnosing faults.
- Repairing equipment.
- Supervising technical staff.
- Obtaining specialist components, fixtures or fittings.
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Creating maintenance procedures.
- Managing stocks of supplies and equipment.
- Assists in process field work.
- Shows a willingness to accept field assignments to fulfill project requirements (personal circumstances permitting).
- Performs, under general supervision, a plant checkout as required to ensure flow diagrams and designs have been correctly implemented and all tie-in correctly located.
- Assists, under general supervision, in operator training programs as required.
- Assists, under general supervision, in plant start-up and/or plant performance testing as required.
- Becomes knowledgeable of, and adapts to the construction/operation environment.
- The basic requirement is a chemical / mechanical / electrical engineering degree.
- The successful candidate will have design experience of Biotechnology, Small Molecule API Synthesis, Fill Finish, Oral Dosage Facility Design and Operation mainly gained within an engineering design office.
- Knowledge of the following standards (the IChemE, ISPE, PDA, El and good manufacturing practice etc..) is expected as a demonstration of self-development and professional qualification.
- Ability to work on own initiative and to strict deadlines.
- Organised and adaptable with a flexible approach to design experience.
It is requested at least 12 months of experience in a similar field of the above mentioned. Knowledge of Italian is considered an asset.
Sterling Chemical Malta Limited – KMP-54671