The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority is the national authority charged to drive, maintain and surveil competition and consumer legislation and policies. Its core principles are founded upon the interest and welfare of consumers, the promotion of sound business practices, and the coordination of standards in relation to products and services. The MCCAA is a regulatory organ providing for dispute resolution by the establishment, jurisdiction and procedure of an appeals tribunal and an alternative dispute resolution process. The authority is inviting applications for the post of Professional Officer within the Standards and Metrology Institute.
Overall Purpose of Position
The Professional Officer shall perform work involving high precision measurements and comparisons of physical quantities in the fields of mechanical and/or electrical metrology and other areas as required by the authority. The selected candidate shall be principally responsible for the scientific supervision and management of all calibration / measurement activities of the Institute in those fields. The Professional Officer shall be responsible to lead areas of policy development, implementation and coordination to ensure effective and supportive regulatory environment.
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Provide technical and scientific support to the day-to-day operations of the metrology laboratory;
- Design, revise and implement measurement processes, methods and procedures;
- Perform measurement uncertainty analyses, inspections and budgeting;
- Study, interpret and apply technical specifications and literature;
- Use and/or develop software tools for data acquisition and analysis;
- Analyse and report calibration results;
- Design test report and calibration certificate templates;
- Write and maintain calibration and test procedures;
- Ensure and monitor compliance with the MCCAA’s ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 quality system requirements, and environmental, health and safety requirements;
- Integrate measuring equipment with software systems;
- Maintain and manage the metrological traceability of the institute’s measurement standards;
- Conduct and analyse international laboratory comparisons exercises;
- Maintain calibration databases for all internal instruments and monitor due dates, perform calibrations and generate calibration paperwork (certificates and reports);
- Commission new measuring equipment;
- Provide general consultation on areas in the remit of the authority;
- Provide technical training on processes and procedures;
- Identify and implement opportunities for improvement in line with the MCCAA’s policies, procedures and work instructions.
- The selected candidate may be assigned in any department of the MCCAA subject to the exigencies of the service.
- Carry out effectively any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the director general (standards and metrology institute) and the Chairperson’s Office.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications
- A recognised qualification at MQF level 6 in Physics, Science or Engineering, or an appropriate, recognised, comparable qualification;
- A clean driving license and police conduct;
- Computer literacy;
- Solid analytical and report writing skills coupled with an excellent command of verbal and written English. Working knowledge of Maltese will be considered an asset
Relevant experience shall be looked upon favourably.
- Ongoing commitment to advance knowledge in the relevant field and providing excellent customer care;
- Work well in a team environment;
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness related to the quality of work;
- Possess well developed interpersonal, leadership and communications skills;
- Ability to work under pressure as part of a highly motivated team of professionals, with minimal supervision.
MCCAA – KMP-44650