The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority is the national authority charged to drive, maintain and surveil competition and consumer legislation and policies. Its core principles are founded upon the interest and welfare of consumers, the promotion of sound business practices, and the coordination of Standards in relation to products and services. The MCCAA is a regulatory organ providing for dispute resolution by the establishment, jurisdiction and procedure of an appeals tribunal and an alternative dispute resolution process. The Authority is inviting applications for the post of Legal Officer.
Overall Purpose of Position
To provide advice on affairs relating to the assigned directorate on particular projects, cases, programmes and initiatives including drafting of laws and/or contracts and review relevant policy issues and engage in investigations, judicial litigation, enforcement procedures, and legislative drafting.
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be expected:
- To assist in the preparation of EU dossiers and attend relevant meetings, both locally and abroad;
- To assist in investigations carried out regarding possible breaches of the relevant legislation;
- To undertake research work as required;
- To develop an understanding in legislation particularly in the assigned fields;
- To assess the legal impact of procedures, suggesting amendments thereto which would facilitate speedier handling of procedures;
- To assist in the drafting of legislation, rules, policies, procedures or other enactments or contracts, in both English and Maltese, as required;
- To advice senior management on the potential implications of new legislation, policies, procedures and contracts or changes to those existing;
- To draft information materials, articles and press releases and vet any such material for legal correctness;
- To lead and participate in joint research projects;
- To carry out effectively any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the assigned Director General and the Chairperson’s Office.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications
The selected candidate must:
- Have an excellent command of both the English and Maltese languages;
- Be in possession of a recognised qualification at MQF level 6 in the area of Law, or an appropriate, recognised, comparable qualification;
- Be in possession of a warrant to exercise the profession of advocate in Malta or is expected to obtain the warrant by the first quarter of 2020.
A post graduate qualification at MQF level 7 in an appropriate recognised, comparable qualification in a relevant field, will be considered an asset;
Relevant work experience shall be looked upon favourably.
MCCAA – KMP-46398