The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority is the national authority charged to drive, maintain and surveil competition and consumer legislation and policies. Its core principles are founded upon the interest and welfare of consumers, the promotion of sound business practices, and the coordination of Standards in relation to products and services. The MCCAA is a regulatory organ providing for dispute resolution by the establishment, jurisdiction and procedure of an appeals tribunal and an alternative dispute resolution process. The authority is inviting applications for the post of Engineer.
Overall Purpose of Position
- Policy development, implementation, coordination, transposition and necessary enforcement in the areas covered by the assigned directorate general, and in liaison as needed with MCCAA directorates and Government entities;
- Risk management of MCCAA regulated products, including sample taking and conducting of on-site visits / technical assessments.
Main Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Provide technical and scientific support regarding issues related to the assigned section on MCCAA regulated products;
- Advise MCCAA directorates, Government entities, and stakeholders on policies and interpretation of regulations issued by virtue of the relevant legislation;
- Prepare and deliver guidance to stakeholders as required;
- Handle issues caused by regulated products and following up as necessary;
- Represent MCCAA and Malta in technical meetings at EU and International fora;
- Analyse legislative proposals in the relevant areas, providing feedback and drafting memoranda and instruction notes as necessary;
- Assist the practical preparations for the implementation of any relevant legal requirements;
- Coordinate with the Quality Manager in maintaining registration of ISO 9001:2015 for MCCAA;
- Prepare for audits and conformity assessment activities as may be required;
- Carry out effectively any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Chairperson’s Office.
Knowledge / Skills / Qualifications
- A recognised first university degree or higher in Engineering
- A clean driving license and police conduct;
- Computer literacy;
- Solid analytical and report writing skills coupled with an excellent command of verbal and written English. Working knowledge of Maltese will be considered an asset;
Relevant experience shall be looked upon favourably.
- Ongoing commitment to advance knowledge in the relevant field and providing excellent customer care;
- Work well in a team environment;
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness related to the quality of work;
- Excellent analytical skills to understand and master a broad range of policy domains;
- Possess well developed interpersonal and communications skills;
- Ability to work under pressure as part of a highly motivated small team of professionals, with minimal supervision.
MCCAA – KMP-44649