About the IIJ
The International Institute for Justice and the Rule of Law (IIJ) is located in Malta with a mission to deliver innovative and sustainable capacity-building through the implementation of counter-terrorism-related, rule of law-based good practices developed by the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) and other international and regional fora.
Since its inauguration in 2014, the IIJ has trained more than 7000 criminal justice practitioners through its interactive capacity-building workshops – in Malta and abroad – that enhance the competencies of parliamentarians, judges, prosecutors, police, prison and other criminal justice practitioners to address terrorism and related transnational criminal activities within a rule of law framework. The IIJ delivers capacity-building training tailored to the needs of the regions it serves, including North, West and East Africa; the Middle East; and select engagement in the Balkans, and Central, South and Southeast Asia. For more information on the IIJ, please visit the IIJ’s website www.theiij.org.
Communications and Outreach Officer
The IIJ is seeking to recruit a full-time Communications and Outreach Officer who will play a key role in the communication and outreach activities of the IIJ. The Officer will work under the overall direction of the Executive Secretary and will report to the Director of Administration and Outreach to implement the IIJ Communication and Outreach Strategy.
The Communications and Outreach Officer will be required to:
- In coordination with the Director of Administration and Outreach lead IIJ efforts to implement the IIJ Communications and Outreach Strategy and the Institute’s engagement with current and potential partners;
- Write, produce and publish communications in English, such as inter alia annual reports, success stories, press releases, e-newsletters and factsheets;
- Generate content for the newly designed IIJ website, social media accounts, and keep abreast of changes in the online environment to best serve the IIJ’s organisational objectives;
- Together with the Communications Assistant, publish content to drive up followers / viewers, to raise awareness and contextualise IIJ capacity-building, and to develop media plans ahead of IIJ events;
- Develop a system that will build on, maintain and strengthen the Alumni Network for participants by sector and region, working closely with the Academic and Programmatic Units;
- Maintain and strengthen the Institute’s engagement with the IIJ Advisory Board, working closely with the Academic and Programmatic Units;
- Coordinate with Senior Management, the Institute’s Grants and Resource Mobilisation Manager and the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager to ensure programme proposal and reports adhere to IIJ standards and requirements from a communications perspective;
- Knowledge management for IIJ internal and external products, including dissemination of external products relative to the IIJ’s mission and mandate, articulating standards, guidelines and templates for internal/external communications and IIJ publications;
- Update and add to existing IIJ templates (e.g. PowerPoint, letterhead, duty travel reports, etc.) to support operational needs;
- Assist in the preparation of internal reports, presentations, talking points and information packs in support of outreach activities, including for the Governing Board of Administrators, working closely with the Academic and Programmatic Units. Support the Director of Administration and Outreach and Grants and Resource Mobilisation Manager, in implementing the IIJ Sustainability Strategy;
- Perform other duties as required in support of the IIJ mission.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communication, marketing, public relations, media or information technologies or related field is required;
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, communication, media affairs, or related area is required;
- A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- Professional command of the English language, with excellent oral and written communication skills, and exceptional attention to detail is required;
- Experience in writing, producing and publishing communications in English such as annual reports, success stories, press releases, newsletters and leaflets is required;
- Experience in implementing communication strategies and in planning and implementing large scale communication projects or campaigns is required;
- Experience in internet and social media systems, applications and interactive tools (such as Twitter, LinkedIN, and YouTube) and with standard computer applications is required;
- Experience in video and photography computer-based programmes is desirable;
- Knowledge of outreach and communication principles within foundations, governments, and other institutional sectors desirable;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, to set priorities and organise work to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a challenging environment; ability to work well under deadline and pressure is essential;
- Strong organisational skills, ability to foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Sensitivity to differences in culture and nationality with the ability to work closely with colleagues from across the world with a range of professional backgrounds.
An attractive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with the experience of the selected applicant.
Int’l Institute for Justice & the Rule of Law – OO_2021