Reporting to the Foster Clark Products Ltd. Managing Director, the Legal Counsel oversees the preparation, review, and negotiation of agreements for the FBS Ltd. Group. This position will act as a central point of contact for the Group with internal business clients, providing advice on a wide range of tactical and operational legal issues.
- Act as initial point of contact with internal business clients. Answer questions from internal business clients regarding internal processes, templates, etc.
- Conduct legal and/or business research and provide timely and relevant information and respond to legal inquiries.
- Provide legal guidance and assist in handling issues relating to various legislative areas relevant to the Group including, inter alia, customs, health, import / export, etc.
- Co-ordinate with overseas legal consultants regarding trademark issues (including registration, counterfeit products etc), distributorship agreements, court cases, and other legal issues.
- Assist during VAT audits and similar exercises which may arise from time to time, providing the legal dimension as required.
- Actively contribute to any M&A activity including oversight of the legal work streams, coordination and collaboration with legal and Tax consultants that may be roped in, and providing insight on the legal issues relevant to the transaction as may be required.
- Other duties as assigned, such as assisting with work flow submitted for review by internal clients; updating template forms; generating and distributing reports; and training business clients on processes and policies.
- Support the negotiation, compilation and execution of agreements with third parties as necessary, with respect to supply of services, emphyteutic agreements with ME / MIP, etc
- Conduct Secretarial work with respect to Board Meetings, annual returns and other submissions to registrar of companies
- Provide assistance in reviewing, drafting, preparing, formatting, and administering contracts and template forms.
- Organise and gather information for contract drafting and following up on outstanding contract issues or status, etc. This may include meeting with appropriate business units, outside agencies, and contracting parties to facilitate and expedite contract resolution and execution.
- Assist in creating, socialising and implementing new processes, procedures, policies, and best practices for the contract review cycle. Managing the various software technologies used by the group, including the legal contracts library.
- Oversee property contracting and leasing arrangements for the companies within the group, including arrangements for the procurement or disposal of property and infrastructural assets.
- Oversight of GDPR Compliance.
- Oversee any necessary KYC and due diligence checks on existing and potential customers and / or suppliers, including checking against sanction listings.
- Assist with overseas regulatory compliance checks for the Company’s various products. Such checks are required to verify that the product complies with the respective country’s legal requirements with respect to ingredients, processes and packaging, and the Legal Counsel will be expected to collaborate with an existing technical team in this respect.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Associates or bachelor degree in a relevant area preferred.
- 10 years relevant experience in a corporate legal department or law firm preferred.
- Previous experience in assisting counsel with handling, reviewing and revising any or all of the following considered an asset: contracts, confidentiality agreements, M&A activity, tax related matters, customs legislation, import / export legislation, food health legislation etc.
- Experience in the consumer packaged goods or food industry a plus.
- Strong knowledge of trademark legislation and intellectual property legislation.
- Knowledge of distribution agreements and contracting.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance.
- Breadth of legislative experience (customs, health, VAT, GDPR etc) due diligence.
- Experience in drafting legal documents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.). Experience with legal software a plus.
- Exemplary organisational skills for prioritizing and handling multiple projects and tasks and driving them to conclusion.
- Strong investigative and problem resolution skills.
- Good business judgment and initiative and the ability to take independent and decisive action, and to know when to seek advice.
- Capability to manage and impart confidential information.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate legal information to business clients.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Foster Clark Company Limited – KMP-53737