In the role of Officer (Legal Affairs), the Officer is responsible to assist the Senior Officer (Legal Affairs) and employees of the Authority in the management of the functions and deliverables under the area of responsibility in line with the aims and objectives of the authority.
The Officer (Legal Affairs) shall assist in all legal matters pertaining to the authority, in particular to:
- Provide the necessary legal advice during the negotiation process on national and international proposed legislation, implementation of existing legislation and on replies including replies to the EU Commission in relation to infringement proceedings, representations during domestic and international meetings as may be required;
- Carry out any legal vetting and translation of laws, directives and regulations and amendments where applicable;
- Drafting and vetting of any communication, authorisations and instructions issued by the Authority;
- Drafting and vetting of any contracts, agreements or other legal instruments entered into by the Authority;
- Support the authority on the ratification of multilateral environment agreements;
- Provide the necessary legal advice in relation to bilateral work with other entities, authorities in the public sector, EU and international networks;
- Prepare, assist and follow-up and act as a counsel on any particular prosecutions and legal proceedings;
- Provide legal advice on any legal matters or policy to the Authority as instructed by Chairman, Board Members, Chief Executive Officer and Authority Director’s and their delegates;
- Provide assistance in the preparation and submittal of reports that are in relation to the legal aspects; and
- Assist the Senior Officer in managing the legal aspects and ensure that the legal positions of the Authority and of the Government are adequately respected and represented.
Job Entry Requirements / Qualifications:
- Doctors of Laws or masters of Advocacy as recognised by NCFHE and a valid warrant to practice as an advocate in the courts of Malta and Gozo.
- Knowledge in environment and EU law will be considered an asset.
In case of foreign qualifications, a recognition certificate from NCFHE is to be submitted for the application to be taken into consideration.
Environment & Resources Authority – KMP-53758