Jobsplus Permit Number 639/2023
We are currently seeking an Accounts Clerk to join our team.
Performs a full range of accounting responsibilities including the following:
- Operate the Company’s external and internal financial services;
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes;
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information;
- Comply with company policies, procedures, and regulations;
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software;
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers;
- Calculate, prepare, and issue bills, invoices, account statements, and other financial statements according to established procedures;
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses;
- Code documents according to company procedures;
- Access computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts;
- Operate 12-key calculators, printers, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents.
- Performs accounting and financial work involving the operation of the company’s financials for external and internal services;
- External and Internal Services include, but are not limited to, invoicing, demurrage, insurance and shipping claims, general ledger, utilities, cashier, audit, budget, accounts receivable, accounts payable, credit control, procurement, internal and external works and reconciliation;
- Assist the Executive Director Finance, Deputy Executive Director Finance, Financial Controller, Managers or other officers as required;
- Engages in the auditing, analyzing, verification, interpretation and reporting of matters related to expenditures, receipts, assets and liabilities, work orders and any other information that may be required from time to time;
- Participates in all aspects of supplier or customer service activities, external and internal, in a timely and effective manner and develops and maintains relationships therewith;
- Application of relevant laws, procedures and regulations that impact the company;
- To assist in the coordination of the operation of the Finance department and to encourage and contribute to positive change within the Finance Section;
- To relate and liaise with other departments and units within the company on financial, administrative and regulative matters and with other external organisations such as the NSO, MRA, WSC, MIIIT, ARMS Limited and Auditors;
- To perform duties diligently and meticulously so that all accounting records and financial data are reliable and give a true and fair view of the financial position;
- To make the most efficient use of resources to achieve the above. Share knowledge and resources. Contributes to the success of client deliverables and achievement of the section’s objectives;
- Meets task and project objectives within prescribed quality and time standards.
- General accounting functions including accounting entries, petty cash, accounts payable and receivables, reconciliations, controls, works, assistance in the preparation of management accounts and in preparing the annual budget, forecasting revenues and expenditures;
- Assists with preparing and handling of all demurrage, shipping and insurance claims;
- Assist in the analysis and control of cash including the processing, reconciling and controlling of the Company’s petty cash;
- Handling of cash and other forms of payment and the processing and recording of daily bank deposits;
- Monthly bank reconciliations, including general ledger research and reconciliation. Other balance sheet reconciliations;
- Assistance with the annual financial audits;
- Monitor all expenditures for concurrence with any estimate/budget and bring unusual situations to the Financial Controller’s attention;
- General functions involved with capital projects carried out on behalf of the company or third parties including the following;
- Monitor and enforce the financial and regulative aspects of electricity supply projects;
- Review and check estimate of proposed works;
- Maintain a current database of material prices and other charges;
- Effectively communicate quotes of requested works to consumers via telephone, fax, email and other forms of correspondence;
- Prepare and finalise with the consumer the works contract and related deposit;
- The issue of work order numbers for all works, internal and external;
- Check all work order costs in concurrence with the original estimated costs and analyse variances, reporting and highlighting all major discrepancies;
- The issue and timely collection of all invoices for work orders and any other services such as temporary supply and non-metered consumption;
- Support preparation of regulatory, standard and ad hoc management reports through information verification, proofreading, assembly and other related activities as required from time to time;
- Liaise with Management, the legal office and other departments to resolve outstanding matters and support the any Court or similar proceedings to ensure the collection of dues;
- Deal with queries (both internal and external) efficiently to ensure prompt payment of invoices;
- Maintaining an effective and organised filing system;
- Monitor and collect outstanding debts in an efficient and timely manner in line with established credit control procedures. Collection to be made by telephone, fax, email and other forms of correspondence;
- Support Bad Debt Reserve and Write Off processes;
- Management of electricity meter records and timely submission of all changes to WSC and Arms Limited to ensure correct billing;
- Liaise with WSC and Arms Limited in all matters related to billing and collections;
- Analyse and review billed consumption where slow or faulty meters have been identified and revise accordingly;
- Processing of payments to suppliers in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures;
- Assist in the compilation of tender documents and handling of customs clearance documents;
- Preparation of the depreciation schedules for the various fixed asset categories and the preparation of the relative journals;
- Follow financial rules and regulations together with defined codes of practice;
- To compile and submit returns such as the VAT return;
- To follow Training and Development Programmes prescribed by the company;
- Carry out any other duty assigned by the Executive Director Finance or his / her delegate.
- Reports to the Executive Director Finance or his / her delegate.
- Interacts with other sections and entities outside the organisation as required.
- As delegated by the Executive Director Finance or his / her delegate.
- The Accounts Clerk shall be responsible for the satisfactory performance of all tasks and duties assigned to them. All this shall be within the constraints of parameters and performance criteria that exist from time to time.
- To the Executive Director Finance or his / her delegate.
- The Accounts Clerks shall be expected to carry out their duty with initiative and the minimum of supervision.
- One (1) pass at GCE / Matriculation / SEC / MATSEC Advanced level at Grade D’ or better in Accounts. A pass in MCAST’s Intermediate Level Programme in Accounts may be considered as an interim qualification until an A’ level qualification is obtained;
- Six (6) passes at GCE / Matriculation/SEC / MATSEC Ordinary Level at Grade 5 or better including English, Maltese and Mathematics; ECDL; Or
- Final Accounting Technician qualification (AAT) through MCAST; Or
- Five years of progressively accounting or directly related experience, subject that the selected candidate will achieve an A’ level certificate in Accounts within two (2) years from the date of appointment.
Experience / Competencies
- Good analytical and math skills;
- Good written and verbal communication;
- Proficient in the use of accounting software together with Access, Excel, Word and other Microsoft Windows applications;
- Customer service;
- Attention to detail;
- Planning, organization and time management;
- Problem-solving and decision-making;
Enemalta plc – KMP-85039