To provide accounting and supervisory support to the Director of Finance in all aspects of hotel operational accounting, and deputising in their absence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Produces timely and reliable management information reports on a monthly basis.
- Develops and controls a centralised accounting system to ensure that accounts are effectively managed.
- Investigate variances against budgets and provide an analysis of differences.
- Performs month-end for Accounts Payable, VAT and general ledger in the finance system.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation and analysis of Agency payroll, ensuring that all invoices and requests for Agency personnel have been properly vetted, verified and authorized.
- Prepares the monthly VAT claims.
- Assists in balance sheet reconciliation.
- Assists in the management of the various functions of the accounting team
- Assists in monthly preparation of Management Accounts.
- Prepares and maintains fixed asset register as well as depreciation
- Reviews and evaluates all training activities with the department
- Develops service enhancements and monitor change in a financial environment
- Delivers to tight deadlines
- Keeps abreast of the newest trends and innovations in the hospitality industry.
- Generally being alert for opportunities to improve the profitability of the department i.e. through controlling wastage and being responsible for the economy of all utilities and resources.
- Takes a proactive approach to Accounting activity, anticipating potential opportunities.
- Maintains effective communication within the department and ensures that the Accountant is kept well informed of any problems/queries that have arisen.
- Report any problems / complaints to the Accountant
- Attends any department training sessions and / or meetings required.
- Liaises with other departments to ensure good communication and offer support.
- Is fully conversant with the Corinthia Employee Handbook.
- Supports the hotel operation in times of demand.
- Drives the Corinthia values and philosophy.
While working for the company there will be access to a wide variety of confidential information concerning the company, guests and employees.
It is vital that all such information remains confidential and must not be disclosed to anyone outside the company, guests and employees unless otherwise stated. Please refer to the Employee Handbook for full policy details.
Health and Safety
- To be aware of and comply with safe working practices as stipulated by the Health and Safety Act and as applicable to your place of work. This will include the incumbent’s awareness of any specific hazards at the workplace.
- The wearing of appropriate protective clothing provided by or recommended by the company will be obligatory.
- To report any defects in the building, plant or equipment according to hotel procedure.
- To ensure that any accidents to staff, guests or visitors are reported immediately in accordance with correct procedures.
- To attend statutory fire, health and safety training and to be fully conversant with and abide by all rules concerning:
- Fire, health and safety.
- Regulations, such as COHSS in the European Union, related to the control of substances hazardous to health.
- Risk assessments for your department.
- Hotel fire and bomb procedures.
As the hotel’s level of business varies considerably, there is a need for flexibility in attitude, approach and working hours. The above description is not to be regarded as exhaustive. Other tasks and responsibilities of a broadly comparable nature may be added on a temporary or permanent basis, as appropriate.
- Experience: minimum 2 years in a similar capacity.
- Familiar with hotel accounting as well as hotel operations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with enforcing internal controls and associated policies and procedures.
Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent spreadsheet and word processing skills (Microsoft Office).
- Communicate clearly and concisely.
- Analytical and driven to initiate new ideas or plans.
- Strong and confident personality coupled with the ability to work as part of a team.
- An organised and methodical approach.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Very good to excellent ability to interpret and report financial information.
- Good time management for meeting strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of and experience with accounting, purchasing, and Front Office management software and Point of Sales systems (preferably SUN Accounts, Micros-Fidelio Materials Control and Opera, Micros F&B and Concept).
Education or Qualification
- Completion of an undergraduate degree or equivalent (preferably in Accounting, Business, Economics or Operations Analysis).
- Certification or qualification in Accounting is an advantage.
- Flexibility regarding work hours is essential.
Corinthia Palace Hotel – KMP-86757