Award in European Union Law
This study programme will serve as a basic introduction to the European Union and its unique legal order vis-à-vis its sovereign members
Participants will have the opportunity to delve into the development of the Union treaties and the composition of the most important bodies of the Union and their powers and competencies. They will also gain a comprehensive understanding of EU law (directives and regulations) and the manner in which they apply to member states, in terms of applicability and direct effect.
This unit will also encourage further study into the workings and jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, its proceedings and powers, together with a basic introduction to the concept of the four freedoms of the Union
What you'll learn
By the end of the study programme, participants will have been exposed to and:
- Understand the basic concepts and fundamental principles of the Union
- Grasp the basic principles of Union law and the application thereof
- Study the correlation between the supranational nature of the Union vis-a-vis the sovereignty of its Member States
- A thorough understanding of the principles of Union law and the historical development of the Treaties constituting it
- An understanding of all forms of Union legislation and accords
- The implications of the supremacy of Union law supremacy on Member States
- The manner in which Union law is drafted, approved and applied
- Competence in interpreting Union law and understanding the manner in which it is applied in the local scenario
Who should attend?
Anyone interested in understanding European Union Law, In-house lawyers, lawyers working in private practice, law students.
- 2 Advanced level subjects at Grade C or better, and 3 Intermediate level subjects at Grade C or better. 1 of any of these subjects must be Maltese or English
- 3 Advanced level subjects at Grade C or better
- Mature / Adult learning student (must be at least 23 when the course starts) subject to an interview by the Head of the Academy.
Founded in 2018, 21 Academy is committed to providing high-quality education to students from all backgrounds and walks of life. We offer a range of awards and undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs in various fields of study, including business, education, law, human resources management, and more. To date, all our study programmes have been locally designed and accredited in order to prepare our students for the specifics of the local and European markets. Our academic staff are professionals in their respective fields and are dedicated to providing students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen careers. They deliver the training on a part-time basis while at the same time gathering more experience practicing their profession. This helps to keep the training deliverables continuously updated.
Our institution is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community where students can learn from one another and engage in meaningful dialogue and debate. We promote this particularly among those students who only join us for our online courses